Wine is missing from the context menu on Ubuntu (SOLVED)
November 28, 2021
To run Windows applications on Linux, it is usually enough to double-click on them. But it may be that the .exe file will be opened by the archive manager or another application (usually the archive manager).
If you try to select the “Open With Other Application” item in the context menu, then Wine will not be there. Even worse, it is impossible to add a custom command, that is, it is impossible to launch an .exe program with a double click or through the context menu.
First, make sure Wine is installed on your system. To do this, run the command
If the output contains the path to the executable file, for example, /usr/bin/wine, then this means that Wine is installed.
If nothing is shown in the output, it means that you first need to install the Wine package.
This can be done with the following set of commands:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt update sudo apt install wine winbind
Windows applications can be launched from the command line using a command similar to the following:
But this is not very convenient, so let's look at how to add Wine to the context menu in Ubuntu.
On Ubuntu (GNOME 3) Wine is missing from the context menu and it is not possible to add a custom command. To fix, do the following:
sudo ln -s /usr/share/doc/wine/examples/wine.desktop /usr/share/applications/
If you encounter an error that the wine.desktop file is missing, then find it with the following command and edit the above command:
Right-click on the .exe file and select the item called “Open With Other Application”.
Then select “View All Application”.
Click on “Wine Windows Program Loader” and then click on the “Select” button.
- How to set up Favorites and add folders in Wine File Manager? (SOLVED) (84.3%)
- How to connect a TV to a computer in Linux in GNOME (Ubuntu) (65.3%)
- How to manage VPN Settings in GNOME 3 (61.5%)
- Error “Cannot load modules/libphp7.so” (SOLVED) (54.3%)
- Ubuntu in VirtualBox does not stretch to full screen although Guest Additions are installed (SOLVED) (54.3%)
- Error “The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem” (SOLVED) (RANDOM - 0.5%)