Error in LMDE “cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries nor crypto modules” (SOLVED)
June 13, 2020
When updating the system, if it was necessary to rebuild initramfs (usually necessary after every Linux kernel update), a warning appeared in LMDE and other Linux distributions. This is not a critical warning and not an error – in fact, this is information about incorrect system configuration. Example of this notification:
cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the 'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup initramfs integration and avoid this warning.
The message in the screenshot says, “that the initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup executables, nor crypto modules. If this is intended, then you can remove the cryptsetup-initramfs package to disable the integration of cryptsetup and initramfs and so that this warning disappears. "
Now cryptsetup and its dependencies are added to the initramfs image only when a device is found that needs to be unlocked at the initramfs stage.
Depending on your plans, there are two options:
- if you don’t know if in the future you will create encrypted partitions or partitions that should be unlocked at the initramfs stage, then just do nothing and do not change – ignore this informational message, it is harmless
- if you definitely won’t create encrypted partitions, then delete cryptsetup-initramfs package
So, if you would not create encrypted partitions and do not plan to do this, then you can remove the cryptsetup-initramfs package:
sudo apt remove cryptsetup-initramfs sudo apt autoremove
By the way, you can reinstall the cryptsetup-initramfs package later if you need it.
- How to install VirtualBox Guest Additions in Linux LMDE (79.6%)
- How to configure Linux LMDE login without entering a password (79.6%)
- How to check if a package is installed on Linux Mint (66%)
- All the ‘tips of the day’ LibreOffice (50%)
- WordPress: A critical error occurred on the site – impossible to enter the control panel (SOLVED) (26.2%)
- How to recover metadata in processed photos (RANDOM - 5.9%)