From February 1, 2019, online assignment is required to obtain a visa in Laos (Vientiane)
March 22, 2019
Starting from February 1, 2019, before you go to the Thai Consulate in Laos (in the capital Vientiane) you need to register on the web site. After that you will need to print a confirmation of the record and the number in the queue, which must be brought along with other documents.
This applies to non-immigrant (including student ED), tourist and transit visas.
The online assignment takes place on the site: https://www.thaivisavientiane.com
As stated on the same site: this is the official web site of the Consular Section of the Embassy of the Kingdom of Thailand in Vientiane, Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
Link to the visa application form: https://thaivisavientiane.com/img/application_form_thai_visa.pdf
How to perform online assignment to apply documents for a visa
The Visa Application Appointment System
1. Why does the Embassy need the Visa Application Appointment System?
The number of visa applicants at the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane has increased significantly in the past years.
Due to a limited number of officers, the Embassy needs to implement the Visa Application Appointment System in order to maintain service quality with an aim to reduce waiting time of applicants while increasing
2. When can I access the Visa Appointment System?
The System will be activated online from 30 January 2019 onwards.
You can schedule an appointment via www.thaivisavientiane.com
3. Will the Embassy still accept walk-in applications?
From 1 February 2019 onwards, applications for certain types of visas will require appointments via the online System prior to the submission of the applications together with all necessary documents at the Consular Section while walk-in applications for other types of visas will still be accepted.
4. Which are the types of visas that require online appointments?
There are three types of visas that require online appointments:
- Tourist, Transit, and Non-Immigrant
Walk-in applications for the following types of visas will still be accepted:
- Diplomatic (D), Official (F), Courtesy, and Labor (L-A)
5. On which platform is the Visa Application Appointment System available?
The System is a web-based application which can be accessed by a computer or a smartphone that has an internet connection.
6. How long in advance can I schedule a visa appointment?
You can schedule an appointment up to one month in advance.
7. What is the appointment cancellation policy?
You can cancel your appointment no less than 24 hours prior to the existing
The System will not allow cancellation to be made less than 24 hours prior to the existing appointment. No-show will prevent you from scheduling another appointment for one month.
8. What are the hours for scheduling appointments?
The system is available online for scheduling appointments 24 hours a day.
However, you cannot schedule a same-day appointment; the system will have a cut-off time for a same-day appointment at 12 a.m.
9. Can other persons schedule an appointment for me?
Each applicant must create a personal account with personal information before scheduling an appointment. The Embassy therefore suggests that you should schedule an appointment by yourself.
10. Which personal information do I need to fill in online to create my personal account and schedule an appointment?
You will need to provide the following personal information:
- Date of birth
- Information on your passport page
- Your preferred date and time of appointment
11. Do I need to upload documents online?
No, the online Appointment System is for queuing purpose only.
You do not have to upload any documents online.
On the Appointment Date
12. When should I come to the Consular Section on my appointment date?
You should come to the Consular Section 30 minutes prior to your appointment time so that you can prepare the application and necessary supporting documents.
13. What do I need to show as a proof of appointment?
There are two options for appointment verification
- You can print out the appointment confirmation and show it at the Consular Section for verification.
- You can take a screenshot of the appointment confirmation on your smartphone and show it at the Consular Section for verification.
14. Do I still need to fill out the visa application form?
Yes, you still have to fill out the visa application form by yourself. It is advisable to fill out the form prior to your appointment to reduce the application submission time.
15. Where can I get the visa application forms?
The application forms are available at the Consular Section free of charge. You can also download them from www.thaivisavientiane.com
16. Does the Embassy have an Express Visa Service?
No, the Embassy does not offer an Express Visa Service.
** Please note that visa consideration is made by the Consular Officers only. **
The Embassy has no affiliation with any persons outside the Embassy nor with any tour agents you hire for transportation and accommodation services.
17. How long is the visa processing time?
The visa processing time for the Royal Thai Embassy, Vientiane, is two working/business days.
You can collect your visa on the next day (approved or not approved) after submitting the visa application.
18. When do I pay the visa fee and what form of payment does the Embassy accept?
You are to pay the visa fee when you collect your visa.
The visa fee must be paid in cash (Thai baht) only.
19. What is the business hours for visa application?
Business hours: Monday - Friday, closed on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays.
The gate will be open at 9.00 a.m.; only visa applicants can enter the Consular Section.
- Submission of applications: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 a.m.
- Payment and collection: 13.30 p.m. - 16.00 p.m.
So, all the above is official information. Now a few words that I think about this.
First, the queues will not disappear. Now we will come with printed numbers and wait for our “electronic queue”.
Secondly, in recent times, really a lot of people apply for visas. Since there they understand that these people (we, who came for visas) cannot stay here for an extra day or two, the Consulate made efforts to receive everyone who came on the current day. Apparently, they are tired of it. As I assume, the number of seats in the “electronic queue” will be limited. Now they simply will not give out more than a certain number of tickets for each day. That is, if earlier, for example, four hundred people arrived, and Consulate employees tried to accept everyone, now they will issue (for example) 200 tickets, limiting the number of applicants for a visa in one day.
And thirdly, the most important thing is what it means in practical terms. And in practical terms, this means that before you go to the visa-run, you need to know their schedule and clarify the availability. Then sign up for the day when your visa run group will come to Laos. Most likely, now, before you sit down in the van, they will check not only the necessary documents, but also the availability of online booking at the reception.
- The most comprehensive information about an educational (ED) visa in Thailand (100%)
- How to get a Thai tourist visa in 2019-2020 (65.4%)
- Bank accounts in Thailand: how to open, costs, features (50%)
- dtac in Thailand: Mobile Operator User Guide (50%)
- How to send money to Thailand without a Thai bank commission 300 baht (50%)
- ShabuShi Buffet in Thailand: Review and Discounts on Loyalty Program (RANDOM - 50%)