Search engine ad: why nothing was found and why it doesn’t show ads
April 1, 2021
The ability to set up custom Google searches on your site has been available for at least a decade. Including displaying ads. But now there is a special block in AdSense called “Search engine”.
What is the profitability of search pages
Approximately 1 person out of 100 visitors to the site will search for something on it. About 1 out of 100 people looking for something will click on the ad. On my sites, search results pages bring in several times less than regular pages. That is, Programmable Search will generate some tangible income only if you have really large volumes of traffic.
But this search has other advantages as well:
- you can set up a search for several sites at once – that is, if a user entered a query that is answered not on this one, but on your other site, he will see it in the search results
- using search, you can promote pages (make them appear in any results), for example, with CPA or others
In any case, the site needs a search. And the Google search engine is very good, well, plus some kind of earnings.
Using it is nowhere easier – create a block, add the code to the site in the widgets and you're done! If you previously (many years ago) set up the code for search when you gave two snippets of code – one for the form and the other for the results – now you don't need it by default. By default, the results are shown directly in the widget itself.
How to create a Google site search form
In AdSense, go to Ads → Overview → By ad unit. And select “Search engine”.
On the page that opens:
- Enter the name.
- List the sites you want to search (one on each line).
- Enter a search string to see examples of results.
- Click Create button.
When entering a list of sites, the following help is given:
Specify a list of sites to search, one per line. You can add any of the following:
- Individual pages: www.example.com/page.html
- Entire site: www.example.com/*
- Parts of site: www.example.com/docs/* or www.example.com/docs/
- Entire domain: *.example.com
If you follow these tips, you might think that you must specify “*.suay.site” to enter a domain, but in fact, “suay.site” also works (that is, both options do not work, but how to fix it – see below ).
Everything is ready – copy the code and paste it into the website widget.
We check the search on the site and… nothing was found.
Why nothing was found in the Search engine ad unit
Go back to the ad review and press the edit button.
The Programmable Search Engine editor will open.
Scroll down the page that opens until you see the “Sites to search” section.
We click on each site and instead of “Include just this specific page or URL pattern I have entered”, switch to “Include all pages whose address contains this URL”.
There is no need to change the code – it remains the same.
We check – now everything works.
Why does the "Search engine" block not show ads?
To answer this question, you need to go to Setup → Ads, there you will see:
Note: in order to ensure a high quality experience for our advertisers, we are reviewing Programmable Search Engine ad traffic quality. It may take several weeks for revenue sharing to begin.
That is, there may be no advertisements for the first few weeks – nothing can be done, you have to wait.
By the way, check that “Search Engine Monetization” is enabled in the same place.
How to Change the Design of the Adsense Search Engine Ad Block
By default, search results are shown below the input form, stretching into a long “sausage”. You can change that. To do this, on the “Programmable Search Engine” edit page, go to the “Look and feel” tab and select the desired search results design.
On the Suay.site, I chose the “Overlay” option, that is, search results are shown in a large area that overlaps the page content.
When adding sites or changing the design, the ad unit code does not need to be changed.
How to promote pages through website search
On the Programmable Search Edit page, go to the Search Features tab and move the Enable promotions slider to the On position.
Add the pages you want to promote.
- What does “Programmable Search Engine revenue sharing changes start April 30th, 2021” mean? (98.8%)
- Are sticky (floating) AdSense blocks allowed (65.3%)
- Free plugin to add ads in WordPress (57.9%)
- Bank accounts in Thailand: how to open, costs, features (50%)
- Western Union Error “There is a technical problem. Please try again later. ” (50%)
- How to find and remove non-UTF-8 characters from a text file (RANDOM - 1.2%)